I don't have a mommy group I go to on a regular basis. I have friends with babies. We get together, chat, hang out, but there's no big group. I'm sort of glad. In talking to a friend recently, there's some things bothering me.
First of all, why must some moms make other moms feel like what they're doing with their own child is wrong, just because they disagree? Every baby, every mom, every family, is different. Different babies have different needs. Some do better co-sleeping. Some do better in a crib in their own room. Some do better with purees and cereal. Some do better with baby led weaning. Some sleep through the night at a young age, some take over a year to sleep through the night. Why must we always be comparing our children to other children and our parenting styles to someone else's? Why can't we just say "I do what works for me. I am *insert child's name here* Mommy and I know what is best for him/her". Why can't we just accept that some people are going to do things differently. Some people are going to disagree with you and your parenting style. That doesn't make it wrong. Everyone does what works for them and that is what matters. If you have a healthy, happy, growing baby, then that is what matters. Who cares if he/she gets up 6 times a night when someone else's sleeps right through? As mothers, we need to trust our gut and do what is best for our child and our families, even if its not what works for someone else.
Secondly, listen to your baby. Really listen. Currently Jack wakes anywhere from 3-6 times a night. He used to wake once between 8pm and 7am. It sucks. I don't get much sleep. I don't like it. But I'm dealing. I'm making the best of it. He needs me. He needs me when he wakes, whether to eat (he eats just about every time he wakes, even if its an hour and a half later), to comfort, to cuddle, whatever it is, I believe he NEEDS me. His little brain is in overdrive right now, learning to roll, trying to learn to crawl, and if that makes him wake up and want me, his mommy, then so be it. I know there will come a day when I wish he would wake up so I can cuddle him. So I don't get angry, I don't make him cry it out, I don't get frustrated with him. I get my lazy butt out of bed and I go to him, and I tell him its okay, and I feed him and soothe him, and when he's asleep or almost asleep, I put him back down, even though I don't want to. Those night cuddles in the pitch dark and quiet are the best, as far as I'm concerned. He's so "go-go-go" during the day that its nice to have him sit still for 10 minutes and cuddle with me, even if he is asleep. So Mommy's - listen to your baby. They don't cry to bother you, to wake you when you have a big day ahead of you. They wake you because they NEED you.
Lastly, be supportive of each other. Being a mommy isn't always easy. It can be pretty darn difficult at times. We need our friends support. We need a shoulder to cry on. An ear to listen. Someone to tell us we are doing a great job and it WILL be okay. Don't be critical. Be supportive.
On a side note, I must send a major thank you to my mommy friends. You guys are wonderful. I have learned so much from you and you have been so incredibly supportive. I don't know how I would have made it through some days without your support. From the bottom of my heart - I love you guys.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

.jpg)



.jpg)






No comments:
Post a Comment